To make the INVIMA registration of a food in Colombia, it is necessary to follow the following steps:
- Identify the type of food to be registered: there are different categories of food, such as beverages, meat products, bakery and pastry, among others. It is important to know in which category the product you want to register is located.
- Carry out the nutritional equivalence study: this study is mandatory for food products and consists of comparing the nutritional composition of the product with that of other products already authorized by INVIMA.
- Carry out the stability study: this study consists of evaluating the stability of the product in different storage conditions, to guarantee that the product maintains its characteristics during its useful life.
- Obtain the required documentation: a series of documents must be gathered, such as the application form, the product description, the nutritional equivalence study, the stability study, among others.
- Send the documentation to INVIMA: the request must be sent through the INVIMA online process portal. The process can take between 60 and 180 days.
- Pay the corresponding rights: before submitting the information for the product registration application, the corresponding rights for its authorization and commercialization must be paid.
It is important to remember that the INVIMA registry is mandatory for all foods sold in Colombia. In addition, it is the manufacturer’s responsibility to ensure the quality and safety of their products.
At Tm Tamayo we have technical and legal specialists to support you throughout the INVIMA registration application process, from the technical data sheet of the product to the concession decision.