To patent an invention in Colombia, follow these steps:
- Carry out a worldwide patent search to ensure that your invention is not already patented and does not infringe a third party right. This initial stage may be the most important and will be the fundamental one to increase the probability of success of your invention.
- If your invention is new, original and has not been patented in Colombia until now, apply for your patent. To do this, you must go to the Directorate of Inventions and New Technologies of the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce or the country’s patent office.
- Prepare a patent application that will contain a clear and detailed description of the invention.
- Submit the application to the Department of Patents of the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce.
- Wait for your application to be reviewed. This process can take around 12 months and a post-publication patentability examination fee must be paid.
- If the application is approved, you will have to pay a fee to keep the patent active during the validity period, which is between 10 and 20 years depending on the type of patent.
- In general, the maintenance of patents in Colombia is allowed, but it is important to know that your right can only be renewed while they are still useful and relevant.
Keep in mind that the processing of a patent in Colombia can be a very complex and complicated process, so it is advisable to seek the advice of a professional in the field.